The role of parent is one of the most influential roles and stages in a person’s life. As parents we hold the power to make positive change in the world through conscious parenting. However – it is also a role that will press every button you have.
If you are soon to become parents, preparing yourselves emotionally for this new role and the changes it will bring in your relationship, is an important step to becoming the parent you hope to be and hence giving your child the best possible start to life. Visit: http://www.licensedtoparent.com.au/workshops/the-parent-to-be/ to learn more about ‘The Parent to Be’ workshop.
If you are already a parent:
What you may be experiencing
As a parent you may:
- Feel out of control – often reacting to your children’s behaviour, then feeling guilt and shame.
- Be anxious, irritable, helpless and overwhelmed by all the demands that fall on your shoulders.
- Want a more peaceful and connected relationship with your family members, but don’t know how to go about it.
If your buttons are being pressed all too often and things don’t seem to be improving – it is a cry from within. There is part of you needing to be heard, understood and attended to.
Don’t suffer in silence! Get the help you need.
Many of us revert to how we were parented when we are stressed. This can feel distressing and unstoppable.
You may be finding it hard to admit you need help – too stoic or proud? Or maybe embarrassed – your own shame, guilt or fear stopping you from reaching out for the help you need in order to make positive changes for yourself and your family. Feelings of helplessness are not uncommon.
As a mother and teacher, helping parents give their children the best possible start to life, is particularly close to my heart.
Counselling and Art Therapy and/or the Tuning in to Kids and Tuning in to Teens Parent Education Programs can help you
- understand the impact of your own family of origin and begin to heal unresolved wounds
- learn new strategies and ways of responding, helping you break the cycle
- feel more connected to your children
- improve your relationships with family members
- overcome feelings of helplessness
The Tuning in to Kids and Tuning in to Teens programs are powerful, research based programs for parents who want to help their children develop emotional intelligence. I currently co-facilitate Tuning in to Kids and Tuning in to Teens with Howard Todd-Collins Director/Psychotherapist at Men and Relationships Counselling.
Be an effective parent, role modelling the things you want for your child/children.
If you want to learn more about the Tuning in to Kids or the Tuning in to Teens program, or feel you’d like some individual support, leave a message by filling in the contact details or call 0421 800 356. For private sessions, I offer a free 20 minute consultation to ensure we are a good fit for each other.